Saturday, January 25, 2014

Getting into Archery

The first time I ever shot a bow was summer of 2007 or 2008, it was a youth recurve bow at Kanakuk camp in Missouri. Kanakuk is a christian athletic & outdoors camp for kids/teens. Rachel and Tim both worked there as counselors when they were in college. They sent me two years in a row to Kanakuk's "k-seven." I did a lot of things for the first time here, like sail a sailboat for instance.
After I showed an interest in archery, Tim gave me an old compound bow that he used to hunt with when he was a boy. It was set for about 25 pounds and had one pin on the sight, set at 20 yards. I practiced and practiced until I started shooting groups of arrows that touched each other. I hunted with it, and watched the same doe with her babies in a pine thicket in Simsboro, LA each time. I never tried to shoot her, I just enjoyed seeing her and the babies. When gun season came, I didn't practice as much or bow-hunt much.
The summer of 2010 my dad dropped me off at the Taylor's house for a pool party and he went to Bass Pro Shop's member night. He called me about 2 hours later very excited, he won a compound bow! Sadly, he cannot shoot a compound bow because of his shoulder...so he got the bow for me. It was a Redhead Kronik, made by Diamond. We had the draw length adjusted for me and I started shooting 35 pounds. I had 3 pins on this sight, with a light. I hunted with this bow for about a year before I got a deer with it. This is when I started to learn more a little bit more about deer behavior. It was such a challenge to get that close to the deer, or to get them to come that close to you (within 30 yards). I loved it! It is a totally different experience to hear the deer walking up and sometimes smelling you, they stare you down, and it makes your heart race a thousand miles an hour it feels like! You have to take extra precautions, such as camo face paint or mask, scent-prevent wash your clothes, body, and hair, then spray yourself down with scent-prevent spray. This is because the deer have great noses and you will be very close to them. You have to sit in a different type of stand, like a ground blind, ladder stand, or climbing stand.
Soon I will share the story of my first bow kill!



The Kronik






No comments:

Post a Comment